Sunday, October 21, 2007

First Anniversary: Camel Wool?


Today is our first wedding anniversary. The funny thing about waiting so many years (6) to get married is that we feel like we should have started counting a long time ago. I don’t know much about traditions celebrating wedding anniversaries, but I do know that the first anniversary usually involves a gift of paper. We’re working on getting ourselves something paper-related (I’ll post more on that eventually) but in the interim, I think camel wool makes a fine substitute!

Yes, I finally managed to procure some camel wool yarn! It took three trips to the shop of a little old woman who sells knitted and felted goods, but I finally bought several skeins. Handmade and mass-produced camel wool products (vests, sweaters, socks, slippers, etc.) are now widely available in Ulaanbaatar but it’s next to impossible to find yarn. I was really happy to get it. I also learned recently that some companies are now producing yak wool garments (I’ve seen sweaters, sweater vests, and scarves). Yak wool seems quite soft- closer to cashmere than sheep or camel wool. I’d love to get my hands on some of the raw stuff, but I think the chances are slim. Maybe I should start a Mongolian yarn import company. Yak and camel yarn for all...

Also, below are some cool handmade products we bought at the black market as gifts. First is a baby vest, lined with (faux) fur and second is a pair of felt slippers. I love Mongolian felted products.




And, for those who were hankering for a photo of John in front of the Oakland Disco Bar, voila!

4 comments:

Ashish said...

Awww, Happy Anniversary to both of you!!!

mely said...

happy anniversary rachel and john! i've been catching up on a month and a half of reading and it's great! love the picture of very very tall john next to very very short woman! take care!

Jules said...

Happy one year anniversary! That is awesome! I went on a trip Oct 15 - 21. I missed blogging soooo much! The camel wool is awesome! I love what you bought, so cute!

didi_international said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope you are staying warm....I love that yarn! Miss you~