Friday, October 19, 2007

My Husband is a Giant in Mongolia






We have a favorite cafe in Ulaanbaatar. It's called Modon, and it serves really fresh, hot food. My Mongolian dad Zorigoo took us there first, since it's right near the Natural History Museum (of which he's the director) and he eats lunch there very frequently.

Today we went to Modon for lunch, and I took some photos of John with the restaurant staff. Several of the women who work there mentioned that they wanted to take a photo with him the other day, so today he posed after we ate. Then we went and got the photos developed and brought them back, much to everyone's delight. I'm pretty sure John is going to get a LOT of free food the next time we go back to Modon for lunch!

We also did a bit of shopping today, including the cool (little) tsam mask rug and felted ger potholders shown above. We bought some other things but since they're gifts and I don't want to ruin the surprise, I'm not posting them here. For all the crafters out there, aren't these potholders nice? I really like them. They cost a whopping $1.50. If you've ever felted by hand and know how much elbow grease goes into the process, you know how much more they're really worth, right?

We also visited the Mongolian Education Alliance (for some reason, Blogger won't let me insert links today, so please check www.mea.org.mn/) today, where I reconnected with Enkhtuya, who M7s will remember as a Peace Corps Mongolian Language instructor. It's a small world...

2 comments:

Ashish said...

John would be a giant anywhere! Are you sure they'll offer free food? ;-)

Pot holders look really good. Though I couldn't figure out where the pots fit? or are they like placemats? I must be missing something obvious.

Jules said...

LOL, I am sure that he turns heads where ever he goes! Those potholders are awesome!