Thursday, June 21, 2007

One Reason Why I Am A Pacifist


At our wedding, my husband's brother announced to all that he would prefer to be referred to as my "brother by another brother" (BYAB) rather than brother-in-law, reflecting the quirkiness of the day as a whole.

Here are my two attempts to satisfy my BYAB Matt's recent request for a knitted camouflage hat. I made the hat on the bottom first-- it's not bad but the brim is enormous. That's what I get for going patternless and roughly estimating the size of Matt's head. (No, Matt, I don't really think your head is that big.) I used size 4 needles to make it, so I really didn't want to rip the whole thing apart. I toyed with the idea of sewing in a seam, but then I decided to use a different yarn and crochet another hat. Which I thought looked better, until my BYAB's brother (also known as my husband) weighed in with the opinion that it looked kinda granny-ish.

So, gentle reader, I look to you for your opinion: which hat should I send to Matt? The modified one or the granny camo one? I've got half a mind to send both and let him decide, but I'd love your feedback!

Bottom line: Camo and I just don't get along. I guess that's why I was in the Peace Corps.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just got your email!

i say send em both! though if choosing is a must i'd go with oversized and manly as opposed to nicely-sized and granny. :)

Anonymous said...

Since the whole point of camo is to trick the eye, I'd say send the granny hat- he'll never notice.

Carey said...

I vote for fat head hat. The granny hat is a little too granny for me...granny goes camo - it is kinda funny though. You are quite the blogging machine!! XO C

Carey said...

You could put eye holes in the big hat and then he'd really be camoflauged!! hee hee hee.

Rachel said...

Thanks everyone! I sized down the big hat a bit (it still looks okay) and decided to send them both... we'll see if he notices. ;)

I like the eye holes idea, Carey-ji. Worst comes to worst, it can function as a Halloween costume.

migisi said...

The top one actually looks like a helmet. You could put an elastic in the bottom one and it could be like a shower cap, or a beret.

Terra, Bea's mom said...

i just love the creative comments!

Rachel said...

Hmm, camo shower cap. I'll have to see if Matt needs one. ;)