Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Homage to My Sister



Today is my dear heart sister Sarah's 30th birthday. She is one of the strongest, most determined people I know. Thirty is one of those milestone birthdays where you are expected to stop and take stock of what you've accomplished. Sarah should be proud when she does that. And in honor of all her strengths, I've crafted the following things for her:



A knitting needle case. I modified the pattern and made this to fit circular needles, because Sarah needs a circular needle case. Once again, it looks completely crooked and the actual product is totally straight. I think the one side is curling up, causing it to look lopsided. It's not, I promise you!



A matching bag to hold balls of yarn and other knitting goods. I used fabric from my vintage stash (the flowered print) to make both the case and the bag.

My brother and I also made her a scrapbook called "Sarah: From 0 to 30 in Photos." Here is the exterior as well as the front page of our handiwork:






To close, a poem by Maya Angelou, honoring the fact that with a sister like Sarah in the world, I'll never be alone:


Alone

Lying, thinking
Last night
How to find my soul a home
Where water is not thirsty
And bread loaf is not stone
I came up with one thing
And I don't believe I'm wrong
That nobody,
But nobody
Can make it out here alone.

Alone, all alone
Nobody, but nobody
Can make it out here alone.

There are some millionaires
With money they can't use
Their wives run round like banshees
Their children sing the blues
They've got expensive doctors
To cure their hearts of stone.
But nobody
No, nobody
Can make it out here alone.

Alone, all alone
Nobody, but nobody
Can make it out here alone.

Now if you listen closely
I'll tell you what I know
Storm clouds are gathering
The wind is gonna blow
The race of man is suffering
And I can hear the moan,
'Cause nobody,
But nobody
Can make it out here alone.

Alone, all alone
Nobody, but nobody
Can make it out here alone.

No comments: