Thursday, July 5, 2007

Tribute to My Crafting Foremothers




My maternal grandmother was a crafting whiz. As a kid she and my mom taught me much of what I know. I particularly remember her work with plastic canvas; this was in the 1980s when plastic canvas was all the rage with crafters. But she was an an amazing crocheter and tatter as well; when she died we had scores of doilies, handkerchiefs, napkins and tablecloths that she'd made.

So for Mother's Day this year, I decide to pay tribute to my grandmother with the table setting for the brunch I hosted at my house. She made all the doilies, placemats and napkins you see on the table! I also used a Polish stoneware pitcher (which I got for $1 at a rummage sale because a piece on the top cracked off and was glued back on-- it functions perfectly as a vase, however) as a centerpiece. It was filled with roses, bamboo and pussy willows which I'd had since Dyngus Day.

I've never tried my hand at tatting; it's such a delicate and intricate craft form that it intimidates me a bit. I'd love to hear from you if you've ever done it. Is it easier than it looks?

P.S. Extra points if you can spot our cat Mochi in this photo!

No comments: